The quiet fishing village of Fingal Head is located 1 kilometre south of the New South Wales border. Access is via Fingal Road, off the Highway before crossing the Tweed River. Fingal Head is a narrow spit, located between the Tweed River and the Ocean and forms the southern part of the river mouth. Add to Description →
Fingal Head has become well known as a peaceful, quiet holiday destination. The activities the holiday makers come to enjoy include boating, rock and surf fishing, golfing, swimming tennis and surfing. Aerial photographs of Fingal Head clearly show the close proximity to Kirra Beach, Coolangatta, and Coolangatta Beach, Snapper Rocks and Banora Point.
The Fingal Head area was first explored by Captain Cook in 1770, naming Point Danger and Mount Warning as areas to be cautious of after nearly losing his ship. It was further explored by John Oxley, looking for possible sites for penal colonies.